Ok guys, I went and saw The Last Jedi last night and….I have some thoughts. Obviously don’t read this if you don’t want spoilers, like, I’ll try to not be spoiler-y but you know you have been warned.
Where does one begin, when they love Star Wars so freaking much?!?
I have been counting down to seeing The Last Jedi (TLJ) since The Force Awakens (TFA). My excitement has increased over time, to the point where I couldn’t sleep because I was just so freaking excited. So, did TLJ deliver? Yes, I believe it did. However, there were some things that I was bit “meh” about. I think what will be best is if I break this down into what I loved and hated, so here we go….
What I didn’t like
- Too many plotlines – I felt like there was a lot of back and forth which gave me a bit of whiplash.
- Unnecessary plotlines – There were a couple of different stories that I really felt were unnecessary, some of it really just felt like filler. Which then leads to –
- It was too long – look, I don’t mind long movies but only if it all feels relevant. The fact that some of the plotlines felt unnecessary and just “filler”, really made some parts of this movie made it feel long.
- Awesome characters but not a lot going on – I don’t know, I really just felt like some characters were wasted in this movie…and it’s probably because it is the 2nd film of a trilogy, which means we are seeing character growth. I really just felt like a few particular characters could have been used throughout the movie….rather than them having a big finale.
They were my main gripes, and really that’s not bad because the things I love really outweighs what I didn’t like.
What I loved
- Adam Driver (Kylo Ren) – just WOW. He didn’t really get to prove his acting chops in TFA so I think it was freaking awesome to see his character grow and how much depth Adam added to this really complex character. Of all characters in the new instalments, Kylo Ren is one that I am most intrigued with because he is so conflicted. I absolutely love him!!
- Surprises – and there were quite a few. Some of them I was like “WOW” and some I was like “ah dang”.
- Blurred lines of Good vs Evil – despite Yoda once saying that “only the Sith deal in absolutes” it’s pretty evident that Jedi’s really have the same principal. It has always been you can only be one or the other. I have to say that this is one thing I was really hoping I would see, less of Good vs Evil and more of something in between. You really get to see this in this movie which I thought was really awesome.
- Visually pleasing – wow, wow, wow!!! So many awesome things, but I won’t go into it. Just, wow!
- Rey – People have quite differing opinions about her, but personally I love her character. I think she is really naïve and I love that in her. She isn’t perfect and she is still learning, but girl can kick some ass. There were some awesome fight scenes with her involved, however I hope she is used more in the next movie.
- Porgs – ahh I really thought these guys would be like Jar Jar Binks, but they really, really weren’t. They were cute and not overused.
- Epic action and finale – the fight scenes whether in the sky or on the ground were awesome. I will forever love the Millennium Falcon and the tricks it has up it’s sleeve. I loved how well choreographed the fights were. It was pretty much a “hold no quarter, take no prisoners” attitude and I loved it.
I could actually go on and on about TLJ but I will end up just giving things away, which I really don’t want to do. I hate when people spoil things for other people, it isn’t fair. I urge you to go into TLJ with an open-mind as this movie is in a lot of ways so different to the other Star Wars movies.
And a special mention has to go to, of course, Carrie Fisher. She is wonderful and brought so much heart to Leia, she will be forever missed.
Overall, I give this film 4.5/5
Have you seen The Last Jedi yet? Do you agree/disagree with any of my thoughts above?